What is Flexion-Distraction?
Flexion-Distraction (F/D) is a gentle chiropractic treatment utilized for neck and back pain. It is a safe alternative to back surgery for those 95% of patients whose conditions do not demand surgical intervention.
The Flexion-Distraction Treatment
For disc related conditions, F/D:
- Creates more room around the disc to improve movement and remove tension on the nerves.
- Allows the center of the disc to assume its central position to relieve irritation of the spinal nerve.
- Restores vertebral joints to their physiological relationships of motion.
- improves posture and locomotion while relieving pain, improving body functios, and creating a state of well-being.
For non-disc related conditions, F/D:
- Increases posterior disc space.
- Decreases disc protrusion and reduces stenosis.
- Stretches the ligamentum flavum to reduce stenosis.
- Opens the vertebral canal.
- increases the metabolite transport into the disc.
- Opens the apophyseal joints and reduces posterior disc stress.
- Enlarges intervertebral foraminal openings, giving patency to the nerve.
Why Flexion-Distraction is in Demand
F/D is utilized for a number of conditions, including:
- Failed back surgery syndromes
- Disc herniations/ruptures/bulges
- Sciatica/Leg Pain
- Arm Pain
- Neck Pain
- Failed course of steroid injections
- Chemical Radiculitis
- Transitional Segment